So the other day I saw a picture on Instagram that showed these super fun and easy cupcakes that reminded me of a piñata and I decided to try them out and I had to share them with you, because they a super easy but add a little something extra to just a basic vanilla cupcake!
To start of you going to need to bake some cupcakes I chose to make vanilla cupcakes but you could do chocolate or whatever flavour you want! The recipe I used if from the book ‘500 Cupcakes’ by Fergal Connolly and it is super easy.
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°/ Gas mark 4) and place 18 paper baking cases in muffin tins.
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and use an electric whisk to mix them all together till pale and fluffy , which is about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into the tins and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the tins from the oven and cool for five minutes in the trays and the remove the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
The next step to creating the piñata cupcakes is to create a hole in the middle of the cake (I used the end of of a piping tip, but if you have a small round cookie cutter that would work better.) Then fill the hole with sprinkles, I used a mixture of 100’s and 1000’s and classic sprinkles but you could add in whatever you want.
From there you want to cover your cupcake in frosting and again you can use whatever frosting you want so let your imagination run wild and try all different flavours! I just went for some Betty Crocker frosting because we had some available but normally I would just go for a classic buttercream and then I topped it off with sprinkles and your done! You now have some piñata cupcakes that everyone will love and you should definitely try them out!
Lots of Love Mads